1. Preheat the oven to 275˚F. Mix the oats, slivered almonds, coconut, flax seeds, whole almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds together in a big mixing bowl.
2. Pour the honey and maple syrup into a measuring cup. Add the salt, then pour in the vanilla (it liquefies the honey and makes it easy to stir in with the dry ingredients).
3. Drizzle the wet mixture over the dry ingredients (you may find it easier to split this into two mixing bowls, which I often do). Stir to coat the dry ingredients.
4. Once the dry ingredients are thoroughly coated, pour them out onto two large rimmed baking sheets and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully stir to ensure the mixture on the bottom doesn’t burn, and bake for another 30 minutes or until it’s browned. Don’t overbake, and don’t try to cook at a higher temperature or it may burn.
5. Once cooled, stir in the currants and store in an airtight container.
6. Serve with plain organic yogurt, sliced banana, or fresh fruit, and drizzle with honey.
MAKES 12 CUPS